Upgraded NHL.TV™ content experience with nearly 50% more local broadcast pre-and-post-game shows added to the service for the 2017-18 NHL season
• Upgraded NHL.TV™ content experience with nearly 50% more local broadcast pre-and-post-game shows added to the service for the 2017-18 NHL season
• New “no spoiler” notifications coming to NHL.TV on Android and iOS devices
• Flagship NHL® app to launch on Apple Watch
The 2018-19 NHL regular season opens Wednesday with new digital experiences for fans across the flagship NHL® app and enhanced content experiences for NHL.TV™, the direct-to-consumer service operated by Disney Streaming Services in partnership with the National Hockey League.
An integrated part of the NHL app, NHL.TV is available across desktop, mobile, and living room devices, and returns for the 2018-19 season with new product features, a design upgrade that elevates the fan experience across devices, and nearly 50% more local broadcast pre-and-post-game shows, as well as the intermission shows within the service.
“This season we’re focused on continuing to enhance the hockey fan’s digital experience, including expanded distribution of the NHL app, new fan-driven features, and a design overhaul that prioritizes video viewing, getting fans faster into the action,” said Barry Tishgart, SVP and General Manager, Hockey, Disney Streaming Services. “We’re excited about the opportunities with the ESPN+ service, also operated by Disney Streaming Services, to reach broader sports fans with 180 NHL games going into the base tier of the premium service.”
New NHL app digital experiences and features launching this season include:
• Team Arena Info: Previously only available in a separate Arena app for NHL venues, fans now have access to venue information directly within the app to check out arena schedules, maps, amenities and more.
• Redesigned Team Pages: Team pages have been redesigned in the NHL mobile app to better surface video as a primary point of entry and shortly after puck drop will introduce a ‘pinned’ video player that enables video play simultaneously while reading an article within the app.
• No-Spoiler Notifications: One of the most heavily user-requested features has been the ability to mute in-game notifications and early this season NHL.TV will introduce new “no spoiler” notifications that give fans the option to turn off content spoilers in the NHL app on Android and iOS devices.
• NHL® Apple Watch App: Early this season, fans will also have access to game notifications, summaries, events, and scoreboards across the League - all on their Apple Watch.
NHL.TV™ offers hockey fans great value and a variety of subscription packages to choose from to watch out-of-market games live and on demand anywhere. Fans can access and subscribe to the service through the flagship NHL app, available across all major devices and platforms, including Amazon Fire TV and tablets, Apple Watch, tvOS and iOS, Roku, Xbox, PlayStation, and Google's Chromecast. Fans also have the ability to select customized game announcers to get the play-by-play they want to hear, watch multiple games from around the League at the same time with picture-in-picture, or catch up to four games at once with Mosaic View, and pause and rewind live games to not miss a minute of the action.
For more information on NHL’s subscription service, visit: NHL.TV.
About Disney Streaming Services
Disney Streaming Services is a business unit within The Walt Disney Company’s Direct-to-Consumer and International (DTCI) segment that oversees all consumer-facing digital video subscription services across the company. Disney Streaming is responsible for developing and operating The Walt Disney Company’s direct-to-consumer video businesses globally, including the ESPN+ premium sports streaming service, programmed in conjunction with ESPN; the upcoming Disney SVOD service; and BAMTECH Media, a global leader in direct-to-consumer video streaming products and solutions. In addition to first-party apps, Disney Streaming operates the flagship NHL app and out-of-market package, NHL.TV, in partnership with the National Hockey League. Its core mission is to deliver global audiences the freedom to access content on their terms across any connected device, time or location.